At AJA, our athletics program is an extension of the classroom, and we believe that athletics enrich every student’s school experience; 85% of our student body plays on sports teams, which are offered based on student interest and include baseball, basketball, golf, cross country, soccer, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling. We know that participating in school sports:
- teaches students how to balance their academic, social, spiritual, and emotional lives;
- demonstrates what can be accomplished by collaboration and cooperation;
- develops a strong work ethic;
- teaches the importance of commitment and follow-through;
- gives students a sense of belonging to something larger than themselves;
- prepares students to encounter competition in school and in later life;
- develops an ethical culture of sportsmanship and fair play;
- gives students a feeling of accomplishment;
- develops leadership skills in players and in our student captains, who contribute ideas and guide other players as well as communicating with coaches, opposing teams, and the greater community.
Our students are proud to represent the Jaguars with the character and ethical values taught in AJA’s athletics program, and our athletes are recognized for their high standards, kindness, and fair play—menschlichkeit—on fields, mats, and courts across the state of Georgia and throughout the United States.